Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Blessed Anniversary


Philippians 1:29

New King James Version (NKJV)
29 For to you it has been granted on behalf of Christ, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake,

2 Corinthians 12:7-10

New King James Version (NKJV)
And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
January 18th marked the anniversary of my back pain.  I have to admit I have felt like the woman with the issue of blood, although not quite a 12 year journey, but having gone to several physicians with no help thus far.  God has, as He always does, taken this time and made it for my good. Here are a few lessons I have learned so far:

  1. There is peace in suffering: I have had many days during this year where I began to be discouraged or down. I can remember one humiliating incident where my son had to help me walk and get dressed.  I was no longer the dad of strength. I cried out to God longing for the pain to end, but it didn't.  What He gave me was peace and comfort. He showed me that my weakness was a gift not only to me but to my son.  My son does not need a man that has no weakness, but a man who can show him what to do when you are weak.  He does not need a man who is independent but one who is dependent on God.  As He showed me this He flooded my soul with peace.
  2. There is revelation in suffering: I have had the pleasure to grow more intimate with my Savior. It makes me think of my own children and when they are hurt or sick.  I draw closer to them in these times; holding them, serving them, reading stories, cleaning up messes. God reveals Himself as a true Father and friend.
  3. There is communion in suffering: In Paul's letter to the Philippians he comments on the closeness he has with Philippians because of their common suffering.  Through this time my family has grown closer, not just my immediate family but my church family as well.  My church has been so encouraging, supporting, in short they have shown me and my family the love of Christ.  Furthermore, Paul writes that he desires to know the fellowship of Christ suffering. This, I believe, brings an intimacy that very few will ever get to enjoy on this side of glory. I can only hope that I too can take part. 
  4. Finally there is joy in suffering: God has never left me and indeed He has drawn closer to me.  I have great joy in knowing, experiencing, and delighting in His presence and care. 

I hope you are encouraged this day take heart if you are suffering.  It will work for your good.  May the Lord bless you.


Romans 8:28

New King James Version (NKJV)
28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment