Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Cross to Bear

Matthew 16:24-26

New King James Version (NKJV)
24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?


Luke 9:23

New King James Version (NKJV)

23 Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.

Ask yourself a question; what kingdom are you building? 

I have to asked this question of myself constantly.  I find that even when I try to do good I fall into the trap of "look at me" rather than not letting my right hand know what my left is doing. It is so easy to go from love of God and others to love of self.  I have to remind myself daily, indeed many times a day that my life is no longer about me.  When I love my wife it is to the glory of God not angus. When I love my children it is to the glory of God not angus.  When I serve and love others or author a blog it is to the glory of God and not angus.  

The temptation is to think that when I perform some good that God owes me or that God belongs to me like some cosmic genie in a bottle awaiting my wish or command.  The truth is I belong to God and I am His servant, created to do His will.

Dear Lord I find it hard to die to myself daily, to take up my cross and follow you. Quicken me Lord for indeed my spirit is willing but my flesh is weak.  I want to love you and others from a sincere faith. Let my heart break for what breaks Yours and let my heart rejoice in what You rejoice in.  Break me Lord.  Make me more like you no matter the cost.  You are my great reward, this world has nothing for me. In Jesus name amen. 


John 3:30

New King James Version (NKJV)
30 He must increase, but I must decrease. 

No comments:

Post a Comment