Thursday, June 6, 2013

Encounter with God

John 4:10

New King James Version (NKJV)
10 Jesus answered and said to her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ‘Give Me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.”

I would encourage you to revisit this chapter of John.  Think about the life of this woman.  Her life is not unlike many women today. I know some of what I have to say is speculation, so please bear with me. 
  
She may have been like my wife and come from an abusive home. Learning by abuse of her father or family friend that many men just want to take.  Her father could have left her and her mother alone to fend for themselves and become a scourge to society. Make no mistake thinking that the times then were much different than today.  The tragedy of men using women and then leaving them was very real then. I could easily imagine that this poor woman eventually believed that being in the arms of a man was the only way she found any value.

Maybe her first husband died and left her a widow. A first love that she kept looking for in other men.  Then husband two comes along and he is as abusive as her father and leaves her.  At this point she feels she has no worth, that men just want to take. There is no love in the world only sorrow and pain with occasional highlights of joy that soon fade.  

I know I paint a bleak picture here, but you can be assured that this happened then and is happening now in our age.  

Then Jesus comes along.  Her first response was this is another man that wants to take from me. But as they speak she finds something different in Him. Childhood stories of a Messiah awaken in her spirit.  Then He confirms her suspicions.  "I am He." 

For once in her life here is a Man that is going to give.  Jesus shows the truth about God. While the enemy of our souls and other men came to take;  He came to give. He gives beauty for ashes, gladness for mourning, life for death, joy for pain and peace.  It is the same for you, God does not come in your life to take but to give.


John 10:10

New King James Version (NKJV)
10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

I have had some complications with my surgery and will be heading to the hospital today.  I should be back soon until then. GOD IS THE GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL GOD!!! all love in CHRIST JESUS OUR LORD.  I was thinking also there may be some nurses or doctors or others in the hospital that need the gospel or prayer so pray that I might have utterance to speak the gospel boldly and power to be a witness there.  Pray that I have an opportunity to share the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment